Home | Samaru Journal of Agricultural Education | Samaru Journal Of Agricultural Education | Abstract
Samaru Journal Of Agricultural Education

Year: 2017|   Volume No: 7|   ISSN: 0794 – 7860|   Page No: 143


AbstractFullText PDFReference
Title:  GENDER DISPARITY AMONG STAFF OF NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION AND RESEARCH LIAISON SERVICES (NAERLS), ZARIA: IMPLICATION FOR EFFECTIVE SERVICE DELIVERY

E.OKWORI, R. ONU, B.E. AGRIBE, E.B. TOLOGBONSE, G.I. ONAGWA AND A. A.WAHAB

NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH EXTENSION AND LIAISON SERVICES (NAERLS) AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY (A.B.U), ZARIA, NIGERIA

ABSTRACT

The study was undertaken to investigate gender disparity in management (Staffing, for more, see methodology) and extension activities of NAERLS, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. A total of 50 respondents were drawn using a random sampling technique. Questionnaire was used for data gathering. The data were analysed using bar charts, frequency and percentages. The results indicated that majority (80%) of the senior extension staff were men while the remaining (20%) were women. The finding also showed that a large portion (75%) of the staff in management positions were men, while 25% were women. Women make up about 50 percent of labour force in Agriculture in sub-Saharan Africa, while in Nigeria it is about 54 - 60 percent according to FAO 2011, Owing to the result findings, cultural belief, this disparity directly affect the effectiveness of extension service provision to women in Agriculture thereby limiting their productivity potential. It was concluded that the prevailing gender inequality may seriously prevent meaningful extension activities within the system. Implication of the study for the improvement of the activities of NAERLS was drawn. 

SUMMARY:

Correspondence:
Printer:
Copyright: